Below is our “Top Podcast” list with our curator, Colby Donovan!
Today we have Ram Parameswaran on tech, and James Holzhauer serving as an example that alpha still exists in all corners of the world.
- The Business Brew: Jason Buck — Survive Like A Cockroach. Jason Buck is the Co Founder and CIO of Mutiny Funds. Mutiny is releasing the Cockroach Portfolio, a portfolio designed with the goal to survive all market conditions, which is the result of Jason’s time as an entrepreneur and wanting to hedge entrepreneurial risk. The result is a portfolio that can hopefully maintain wealth in all market environments, and Jason walks you through his thought process and what assets he includes in the Cockroach Portfolio. [June 10, 2021–1 hour, 44 minutes] iTunes Podcast | Spotify | Google | Breaker | Website Link
- Planet Money: How Uncle Jamie Broke Jeopardy (Update). This story is a great example that even though there are more people and money trying to outperform in different domains, the ability to achieve alpha still exists. The story is how James Holzhauer used an approach to play Jeopardy that no one had used before, allowing him to break almost every record and win ~$2.4 million along the way. [June 16, 2021–31 minutes] iTunes Podcast | Spotify | Google | Breaker | Website Link
- Odd Lots: Why Ram Parameswaran Says the World’s Biggest Tech Stocks Are Ridiculously Cheap Right Now. Parameswaran is the Founder and CIO at Octahedron Capital — which does VC investments and invests in public equity with a focus on technology. He argues although technology has had a big run over the past year, he believes it still has room to run. He shares the lessons he learned during COVID, what trends he expects to persist and potentially accelerate from here, and then shares some names he thinks are cheap. [June 18, 2021–58 minutes] iTunes Podcast | Spotify | Google | Breaker | Website Link
The Meb Faber Show
- The Meb Faber Show: #320 — Shonda Warner, Chess Ag Full Harvest Partners — The Interesting Thing About Ag Is That It’s There To Play Another Day. Shonda Warner is the founder of Chess Ag Full Harvest Partners, an asset management company focused on agricultural investment opportunities. She begins with her early career on the trading desks of Goldman Sachs and Cargill in London and Tokyo. Then she shares what led her to decide she wanted to return to her farming roots and launch an agriculture asset management firm. She covers her areas of focus, what she believes are realistic return expectations in the space, and the possibility for vertical integration going forward. Towards the end of the episode, they touch on some ag-tech and the need for infrastructure around hemp to help the industry grow. [June 14, 2021–1 hour, 11 minutes] iTunes Podcast | Spotify | Google | Breaker | Website Link
- The Meb Faber Show: #321 — Rajiv Jain, GQG Partners — “Everything Is Temporary And The Only Way To Survive Long-Term Is To Be Adaptive.” Rajiv Jain is the Chairman and Chief Investment Officer of GQG Partners, a boutique investment management firm focused on global and emerging markets equities. The episode begins with Rajiv’s early career as an emerging markets PM and the lessons he learned navigating the Tequila Crisis. Then he dives into his choice to venture out on his own and start a new firm focused on having skin in the game, a diverse team, and a long-term view. He talks about the different investment styles of the firm, how he’s positioned going forward, and his thoughts on emerging markets, particularly Russia, India, and Asia. [June 16, 2021–1 hour, 2 minutes] iTunes Podcast | Spotify | Google | Breaker | Website Link