Below is our “Top Podcast” list with our curator, Colby Donovan!
Today we have an episode on investing in trading cards, Ashley Flucas on how she broke into venture capital, and Frank Holmes on the hit ETF JETS and his entrance into the crypto mining space.
- Standard Deviations with Dr. Daniel Crosby: Brad Johnson — Investing in Trading Cards. Johnson and Crosby have a fun conversation on the return in popularity of trading cards over the past 18 months. They get into factors that contributed to it — COVID giving most people extra time at home, nostalgia, and transparency around both pricing from real-time sale data from eBay and the number of cards produced. They even get into ‘diversification’ within trading cards, what Fanatics taking over for Topps as the MLB provider means going forward, and what impact NFTs can have on the space. [November 25, 2021–51 minutes] iTunes Podcast | Spotify | Google | Breaker | Website Link
- The Twenty Minute VC: Eugene Wei on “Status as a Service,” Why Networks Grow and Stop Growing, The Worst Design Choices Social Media Incumbents Have Made & The Next 10 Years of Media and the Metaverse. Wei has spent his career in startups working for Amazon, Hulu, Flipboard, and most recently Oculus. He covers a number of topics in this episode, including how great leaders disseminate their messages in an organization, the evolution of social media companies and how they may evolve going forward, what led him to write his popular post Status as a Service, and what he thinks about the media landscape today with companies in different industries competing for attention. [November 22, 2021–46 minutes] iTunes Podcast | Spotify | Google | Breaker | Website Link
The Meb Faber Show
- #370 — Ashley Flucas, Flucas Ventures — This Is A Really Opportunistic Time For Someone Who’s Not Afraid And New In The Game To Get Started. Ashley Flucas is the founder of Flucas Ventures and General Counsel and Partner for a real estate finance fund and explains how those two roles have come to exist. Ashley walks through her path to break into the world of venture capital, first by participating in deals on AngelList, then building out her own syndicate. She shares how COVID accelerated the transition, allowing her to capitalize on both the lack of capital and shift to a remote world. She touches on her investment philosophy, why she benefits from a non-tech background, and what it’s like writing checks while being based in Florida. [November 22, 2021–56 minutes] iTunes Podcast | Spotify | Google | Breaker | Website Link
- #371 — Frank Holmes, U.S. Global Investors, HIVE Blockchain — JETS, Bitcoin vs. Gold, & How To Play Supply Chain Issues. Frank Holmes is the CEO of both U.S. Global Investors (an investment manager of both ETFs and mutual funds) and HIVE Blockchain (the first cryptocurrency mining company to go public). In this episode, Frank starts by sharing what piqued his interest in crypto and why he chose to go down the mining path instead of pursuing a Bitcoin ETF. He offers some macro perspective on crypto and how he believes it differs from gold. Then he turns to the ETF space to discuss the hit ETF, JETS, which focuses on the airline industry. At the end of the episode, Frank shares the thesis behind his newest ETF around the marine shipping and air freight industries. [November 24, 2021–62 minutes] iTunes Podcast | Spotify | Google | Breaker | Website Link
- The Best Investment Writing Volume 5: Laurence Siegel, CFA Institute Research Foundation — Debunking Nine and a Half Myths of Investing. Listen to an updated audio version of the paper, Debunking Nine and a Half Myths of Investing. [November 19, 2021–11 minutes] iTunes Podcast | Spotify | Google | Breaker | Website Link
Eugene Wei (Strategist):