Below is our “Top Podcast” list with our curator, Colby Donovan!
Today we have Chas Cocke on his transition from allocator to investor, David Pullman on securitizing music IP, and Freakonomics with a framework for generating ideas.
- “Wealth Actually” with Frazer Rice: EP.97 The Future Of Music and Finance with David Pullman. Pullmam seems to be the subject-matter expert on the music finance industry — his firm covers many aspects of the music industry including publishing and mechanical rights, royalty management, loans, advances and securitizations. He walks through his initial transaction with David Bowie to create Bowie Bonds, why it was of interest to Bowie and how that led him to have a career in this space, and helping musicians like James Brown structure similar deals to securitize their intellectual property. [November 29, 2021–46 minutes] iTunes Podcast | Spotify | Google | Breaker | Website Link
- Infinite Loops: Matt Clifford — The Rise of Modernity. Clifford is the co-founder & CEO of Entrepreneurs First, where he funds who he believes to be extraordinary people who go on to build tech companies. In this wide-ranging conversation with Jim O’Shaughnessy, he opines on the skills needed to succeed in today’s chaotic world, ideas on how society can enable everyone to become the best version of themselves, and what his best practices are for structuring an organization that seeks to find and develop top talent. [December 2, 2021–82 minutes] iTunes Podcast | Spotify | Google | Breaker |
“I think we often overstate and overrate the stability of our own views, never mind the society’s views.”
The Meb Faber Show
- #372 — Chas Cocke, LB Partners — There Are Lots of Great Businesses…The Hard Part Is Finding Them At A Really Good Price. Chas Cocke is the founder of LB Partners and previously was one of the founding partners of Investure, one of the firms early to offer the outsourced CIO model that’s popular today. Chas begins by discussing his time at Investure and what it was like to work with the some of the most renowned money managers in the world. He covers some trends he sees in the institutional and hedge fund space around both fees and the convergence of public and private markets. Then he gets into his newest venture, which, as he puts it, will invest in anything, anywhere, on an unconstrained basis. He gets into its unique structure and talks about some of the areas where he’s already put money to work. At the end, he touches on his partnership with Tim Maloney and Roundhill Investments (below) to launch the IO Digital Infrastructure ETF, ticker BYTE. [November 29, 2021–77 minutes] iTunes Podcast | Spotify | Google | Breaker | Website Link
- #373 — Tim Maloney, Roundhill Investments — We Hit The Right Theme At The Right Time. Tim Maloney is co-founder and Chief Investment Officer for Roundhill Investments, an ETF sponsor focused on thematic and sector-specific investing. Tim begins with an overview of Roundhill and the firm’s unique strategy around distribution. Then he dives into some of Roundhill’s funds, most notably the fund focused on the metaverse with a ticker I bet Mr. Zuckerberg wish he had. Meb & Tim touch on funds that are focused on e-sports, sports betting and streaming, and even a couple of funds that were launched as a partnership with previous podcast guests Tobias Carlisle and Chas Cocke. [December 1, 2021–55 minutes] iTunes Podcast | Spotify | Google | Breaker | Website Link
- Freakonomics, M.D.: 12. Where Do All the Bad Ideas Go? Host Dr. Bapu Jena talks with economists Steve Levitt and Emily Oster about their process for generating ideas for studies, why most ideas are dead ends, and how to decide when an idea is a dead end or an idea worth pursuing further. [November 18, 2021–35 minutes] iTunes Podcast | Spotify | Google | Breaker |
John Doerr (Chairman, Kleiner Perkins):
- Under a White Sky: The Nature of the Future by Elizabeth Kolbert
- How to Avoid a Climate Disaster: The Solutions We Have and the Breakthroughs We Need by Bill Gates
- The Splendid and the Vile: A Saga of Churchill, Family, and Defiance During the Blitz by Erik Larson