Below is our “Top Podcast” list with our curator, Colby Donovan!
Today we have an overview of the cannabis space, Dan Zwirn on investing in the credit markets, and interviews with both Jason Zweig and Mark Yusko.
- The Investors First Podcast: Jason Zweig, The Wall Street Journal: Traders vs. Investors, “Conflict-Free” Advice & Investing Heroes. Jason Zweig has been a Columnist for the WSJ since 2008, currently writing the Intelligent Investor Column. In this episode, Jason covers the difference between investors and traders, the gamification of investing, and the bored market hypothesis. Jason also discusses how we can improve as investors emotionally, the demand for ESG, and the illusion of conflict-free financial advice. He finishes the episode with his heroes in investing and the financial literacy industrial complex. [January 13, 2022–68 minutes] iTunes Podcast | Spotify | Google | Website Link
- Business Breakdowns: Jeff Hoffman — Cannabis: Legalizing the Leaf. Jesse Pujji is joined by Marathon Partners Equity Management’s Jeff Hoffman, who invests in US public cannabis companies. They break down the cannabis industry — looking at the current state of regulations and how he expects them to evolve in the near future, the difference between state and federal laws, the changing attitudes of Americans towards cannabis legalization, and finally, the different companies across the value chain that are publicly traded. [January 11, 2022–52 minutes] iTunes Podcast | Spotify | Google | Website Link
- Macro Hive Conversations with Bilal Hafeez: Mark Yusko on the Right Asset Allocation, Avoiding Crypto Scams and 2022 Trades. Mark Yusko is the CEO and CIO of Morgan Creek Capital Management. In this episode, he discusses the endowment model and issues with decision makers at the investment committee level. Then he talks about innovation as an asset class, the ensuing debt jubilee, and why he thinks it should be illegal for young investors to own bonds. At the end, he shares his framework for investing in crypto and expectations for the space in the next few years. [January 14, 2022–72 minutes] iTunes Podcast | Spotify | Google | Website Link
The Meb Faber Show
- #382 — Dan Zwirn, Arena Investors — A Stoic Approach to Investing. Dan Zwirn is the CEO and CIO of Arena Investors, a firm focused on global special situations and asset & credit investments. Dan walks us through the process of sourcing private deals, the intricacies around structuring, and his framework for hedging currencies and commodities on a deal-by-deal basis. Then Dan explains why he thinks the CLO market is looking a little bubbly and the impact of COVID on his portfolio. They talk about some examples of his recent deals, including a fun one with the AC Milan soccer club. [January 12, 2022–53 minutes] iTunes Podcast | Spotify | Google | Website Link
- ESPN Daily: Is the 10,000-Hour Rule a Myth We Need to Bust? Best-selling author and sports science writer David Epstein walks through his analysis of the “10,000-hour rule” coined by Malcolm Gladwell. He explains why it isn’t a rule like so many people believe it is and why specialization, especially before puberty, is not ideal for long-term development. Epstein shares what he has learned about mastery through his own research. Click here to watch Epstein and Gladwell debate the topic back in 2014. [January 4, 2022–32 minutes] iTunes Podcast | Spotify | Google | Website Link
Mark Yusko (CEO and CIO of Morgan Creek Capital Management):
- The Alchemist
- The Tao Jones Averages: A Guide to Whole-Brained Investing by Bennett W. Goodspeed
Devin Finzer (Founder & CEO, Opensea):
- Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow
Jim McKelvey (Co-Founder, Square):
- Pre-Suasion: A Revolutionary Way to Influence and Persuade by Robert Cialdini
- My Early Life: 1874–1904 by Winston Churchill