Below is our “Top Podcast” list with our curator, Colby Donovan!
Today we have Steve Harvey on becoming a media mogul, Peter Zeihan on implications from Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, and Dr. Andrew Huberman on how to improve your health.
- ***Must Listen*** Earn Your Leisure: EYL 176 STEVE HARVEY ON HOLLYWOOD, FINANCIAL LESSONS, BEING A MOGUL, & IRS PROBLEMS. Steve Harvey discusses his growth, both personally and professionally, during his career. He shares why he learned to control his IP and have ownership in projects so he could participate in the upside, his decision to expand Family Feud to Africa and start businesses in the Middle East, and handling losing almost all his money due to a divorce and a fraudulent financial advisor. [March 15, 2022–145 minutes] iTunes Podcast | Spotify | Google
- The Pomp Podcast: #876 The Truth Behind The Russia vs. Ukraine War w/ Peter Zeihan. Geopolitical expert Peter Zeihan talks about the implications of the Russian invasion of Ukraine. He puts the global sanctions on Russia into historical perspective, walks through the failures of the Russian military, and explains how this impacts potential conflict between China & Taiwan. He finishes by explaining the impact on energy and food prices, specifically wheat and oil. [March 22, 2022–72 minutes] iTunes Podcast | Spotify | Google
The Meb Faber Show
- #400 — Patrick Geddes, Aperio — Lessons From A Customized Indexing Pioneer Who Sold His Firm To BlackRock. Patrick Geddes is the founder and former CEO of Aperio Group, a leader in the direct indexing space with $42b in AUM when it was acquired by BlackRock for over $1b. Patrick discusses his time at Morningstar as the Director of Quantitative Research & CFO, what led him to enter the direct indexing space over 20 years ago, and why the Great Financial Crisis was an inflection point for direct indexing. Then they discuss his book, Transparent Investing, which talks about the importance of taxes & fees and ways to counteract behavioral biases. [March 21, 2022–64 minutes] iTunes Podcast | Spotify | Google | Website Link
- #401 — Clay Gardner, Titan — Investment Management Services for The Everyday Investor. Clay Gardner is the co-founder and Co-CEO of Titan, a retail investment management platform aimed at the new generation of everyday investors. In today’s episode, Clay begins with an overview of Titan, the firms’ investment philosophy, and some of their different offerings, which now includes crypto. We hear about the company’s content strategy, which help both educate investors and keep them invested in the market during volatile periods. At the end of the episode, Clay touches on the firm’s fundraising history, which includes investments from a16z, Kevin Durant, and Will Smith. [March 23, 2022–48 minutes] iTunes Podcast | Spotify | Google | Website Link
- The Knowledge Project: Dr. Andrew Huberman: The Science of Small Changes. Huberman is a Neuroscientist and Stanford University School of Medicine professor and shares a bunch of tips on how to improve your health. He talks about light exposure, sleep habits, breathing, dieting, supplements, and more. [March 22, 2022–105 minutes] iTunes Podcast | Spotify | Google | Website Link
“Forget trying to get people to change, it does not work. It works with children, it does not work with adults unless it’s self-directed plasticity. And there is tons of literature to support that statement.”
- The Ezra Klein Show: A Philosophy of Games That Is Really a Philosophy of Life. C. Thi Nguyen is a philosopher and author of Games: Agency As Art, which argues that games are all around and are playing us instead of us playing them. He explains how our society has focused too much on what can be quantified (the number of steps we take in a day, GDP growth) instead of intangibles (how happy we are while walking, the value of community and connection). [February 25, 2022–73 minutes] iTunes Podcast | Spotify | Google | Website Link
C. Thi Nguyen (Philosopher & Author):
Luciana Lixandru (Partner, Sequoia):
Samara Cohen (CIO of ETF and Index investments at BlackRock):
- Digital Body Language: How to Build Trust and Connection, No Matter the Distance by Erica Dhawan
- The Girl with the Louding Voice by Abi Daré